available HGV Drivers, Tacho tutorial. CPC. HGV vacancies HGV vacancies, LGV jobs. Tacho tutorial, HGV regulations. EU rules
Driver CPC. Information on periodic training, part of the Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence).
HGV vacancies. Truck interest, trucking stories, movies and more. Trucks and Trucking
available LGV Drivers, LGV vacancies, HGV Medicals. Trucks and Trucking Digital Tachograph Tutorial. CPC. EU rules, HGV regulations. LGV vacancies, LGV Drivers

Driver CPC

LGV vacancies. Trucks, truck stories, movies and more
HGV City home page. LGV Drivers, LGV vacancies Companies and Agencies requiring LGV Drivers LGV Drivers seeking work Current Traffic Information. Motorway delays Driver's Hours. Working Time Directive Digital Tachograph Tutorial Truck Pictures Trucking gossip and humour Trucking Movies HGV City Drivers Forum. Drivers hours, tachographs, vehicles, continental driving, etc. Log in to HGV City Driver Register or Digital Tachograph Tutorial

Driver CPC - Information on periodic training
- part of the new Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence).

Affects drivers of buses and coaches (D, D1, DE, D1E licence holders)
from 10th September 2008

Affects drivers of Lorries (C. C1, CE, C1E licence holders)
from 10th September 2009*

* both;
    • drivers who already hold the relevant vocational licence prior to these dates and
    • those seeking to achieve their vocational licence to drive professionally from these dates (who will also be required to take an initial qualification

Initial Qualification leaflet
(on www.transportoffice.gov.uk/cpc).
This leaflet provides information on training requirements for all professional drivers who wish to continue driving.

When will it start?
Bus and Coach drivers - 10th September 2008
Lorry drivers - 10th September 2009.

What is Driver CPC?
Driver CPC is being introduced across the European Union to maintain high driving standards and improve road safety.
All professional bus, coach and lorry drivers must hold a Driver CPC if they want to drive for a living (there are a few exempt groups - please see 'Are the any special concessions?' , bottom of page).
NB: any drivers of lorries of 3.5 tons and upwards, and minibuses with 9 seats or more must obtain a Driver CPC.
The existing 'Transport Manager's CPC', also known as the 'Operator's CPC', is a separate qualification and anyone holding one who still drives professionally as part of their job will also need to hold a Driver CPC.

How will it affect me?
All drivers will need to complete a minimum of 35 hours of periodic training within every five year period.
The training will require attendance at courses but will not require drivers to take or pass further examinations.

How you gain your Driver CPC will depend upon whether you are a new or existing driver,
If you are an existing driver you will have 'acquired rights' as you already hold a vocational driving licence (C, C1, CE, C1E, D*. DV, DE*, and D1E") on the relevant start dates.
Bus and coach drivers will hold acquired rights up until 9 September 2013 and lorry drivers until 9 September 2014.
To keep your Driver CPC and continue driving professionally beyond this date, you will need to undertake regular periodic training.

New drivers will need to pass a new initial qualification to gain their vocational driving licence and qualify for their Driver CPC. For a new driver, their requirement to undertake a minimum of 35 hours' periodic training to retain their Driver CPC will start once they have passed the initial qualification.
Those who have an entitlement on their licence stating 'not for hire or reward* (Code 101) will not have acquired rights and will have to take the initial qualification should they wish to drive professionally.

What is periodic training?
Periodic training is continuing professional development for bus, coach and lorry drivers. It carries on throughout the professional driver's career -no matter how infrequently they drive.

The minimum length of a training course is 7 hours.
Where a course of 7 hours is split into two parts the second part must start within 24 hours of the completion of the first part.
It is important that you allow yourself enough time to complete your training within the five year period.
There is no advantage in delaying your periodic training. The sooner you train, the sooner your knowledge and skills will be refreshed and updated, which will enhance your professionalism.
Driver CPC requires you to complete a minimum of 35 hours of periodic training during every five year cycle for as long as you wish to continue driving professionally.

What subjects will periodic training cover?
Periodic training is designed to complement the individual driver's work and be relevant to their every day job.
Courses may include SAFED (Safe and Fuel Efficient Driving] style training, defensive driving techniques, first aid, health and safety, driver's hours regulations and tachograph. Courses will also enable drivers to keep up to date with changing regulations. The syllabus broadly covers:
    • Safe and fuel efficient driving
    • Legal requirements
    • Health and safety, service and logistics
Further details on the Driver CPC syllabus can be found at www.transportoffice.gov.uk/cpc

Who will deliver periodic training?
Only approved courses taken with approved training centres will count towards periodic training.
The approval process for courses is managed on behalf of the Driving Standards Agency by the Joint Approvals Unit for Periodic Training (JAUPT).
A list of approved training centres can be found through their web site at www.drivercpc-periodictraining .org

DSA will provide a central database to keep records of the periodic training completed by each driver.
It will be the responsibility of the training centre to enter records onto the database (there will be online access for drivers to enquire on their own training records).

Is there a test to pass?
No. There is no requirement for a course to include a test or a pass/fail element.

I hold both a PCV and LGV licence; will I need to undertake two sets of periodic training?
No, only one set of periodic training needs to be completed every five years.

How will I prove I hold Driver CPC?
You will be able to prove you hold Driver CPC by a Driver Qualification Card (DOC).
The card will be issued to new drivers automatically on successfully passing the initial qualification.
Existing drivers (holding a GB photo card licence) will be automatically issued with the card on completion of the 35th hour of periodic training.

For existing drivers, their 'acquired rights' means that their driving licence will be accepted as proof of their Driver CPC status until they have completed their 35 hours training within the first 5 year cycle at which point they will be issued with a DOC.
There will be no charge for the card at point of issue.

As the card will be sent to the address on your driving licence il is important that you keep your details up to date with DVLA.

You must carry your DOC whilst driving and there will be penalties if you are found to be driving professionally without one. If your DQC has been lost, stolen or damaged, you must report it to the DSA within 7 days and apply (or a replacement card. There will be a fee to replace and issue new cards.

To report your DQC card lost, stolen or damaged contact:
Email [email protected] (putting 'DQC Enquiry' in the subject field) or telephone 0300 200 1122

Once you have reported it you will be able to drive for up to 15 days without a card while a replacement is sent to you.

NB: if your card has been lost or stolen you must inform your employer.

Are there any special concessions?
There are exemptions from the Driver CPC qualification for drivers of vehicles:
    • used for the non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods, for personal use
    • undergoing road tests for technical development, repair or maintenance purposes, or new or rebuilt vehicles not yet put into service
    • used in the course of driving lessons for any person wishing to obtain a driving licence or Driver CPC
    • carrying material or equipment to be used by the driver in the course of his or her work, provided that driving the vehicle does not constitute the driver's principal activity
    • with a maximum authorised speed not exceeding 45km/h
    • used by, or under the control of, or under the control of, the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service, and forces responsible for maintaining public order
    • used in states of emergency or assigned to rescue missions

Any questions on the periodic training element of Driver CPC?
Contact the Driving Standards Agency:
Email [email protected] (putting 'Driver CPC Enquiry' in the subject field)
or telephone 0300 200 1122

or for more detailed information write to:
Driver CPC enquiries
PO Box 280
NE99 1FP

More information on periodic training and the Driver CPC can be found at:
www.tra nsportoffice.gov.uk/cpc

If you are based in Northern Ireland you can contact DVA on:
or telephone 02870346960

or write to the DVA at:
Driver & Vehicle Agency
Driving Licensing Division
Castlerock Road

  top of page
Home HGV vacancies HGV Drivers Delays Reg's Tacho Trucks Trucking Movies Forum Links Search Contact LGV Jobs